Employees must meet the following requirements to enroll in this plan:
- Eligible for coverage under the WRS
- Under age 70 at the time of initial enrollment (if 70 or older when initially eligible, can only apply for coverage through Evidence of Insurability)
- Not receiving a WRS annuity
- Eligible employees have 30 days from the date employment begins to enroll
- Coverage begins on the first day of the month following 30 days from the date of hire
- If you do not enroll when initially eligible, you may have an opportunity to enroll with a qualifying life event
- You may also apply for coverage at any time through Evidence of Insurability (acceptance is not guaranteed)
- You may decrease or cancel coverage at any time
Employee Coverage: You may select up to five units of Employee coverage. Each unit of coverage is based on your highest annual WRS earnings, rounded to the nearest $1,000. Your coverage level will automatically increase if your salary increases.
Spouse and Dependent Coverage: You may select up to two units of Spouse and Dependent coverage. Each unit insures your spouse for $10,000 and each of your children for $5,000. You must be enrolled in Employee coverage to elect this level of coverage.
- Continuation of coverage at retirement or termination with at least 20 years of WRS service (eligibility requirements must be met)
- Employees are no longer required to pay premiums for Basic coverage when they turn 65 and are retired
- Supplemental and Additional units end at 65, if retired
You should review and update your Beneficiary Designation with each qualifying life event.