Due to the pandemic, many UW–Madison employees are now facing additional family care responsibilities, which they must balance with their job responsibilities. These new family challenges may include child care, elder care, or care for family members impacted by COVID-19.
To support employees and to lessen these challenges, the university is encouraging units to offer workplace flexibilities to employees where possible and appropriate. Workplace flexibilities may include telecommuting, job sharing, alternative work weeks, variable hours, reassignment, and more. Of course, not every situation can be accommodated; for example, remote work may not be possible in some cases, or the work must be done at a particular time and in a particular location.
If you are an employee seeking assistance in balancing work and child care responsibilities, we encourage you to speak with your supervisor or department chair. Every employee concern will be individually evaluated based on duties, work environment, and workplace needs. If you have a medical or disability related concern, see Accommodations related to COVID-19.
If you are a supervisor or department chair, UW–Madison will support your efforts to assist employees facing family caregiving challenges.
On this page, we offer guidance and resources for both employees who are facing family caregiving challenges and their supervisors. Additional resources will be added as they become available, so please check back regularly.
Table of Contents
If you are an employee with family caregiving questions or concerns, please contact:
- Your supervisor or department chair.
- The local human resources contact where you work.
- The Office of Human Resources at 608-265-2257 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are a supervisor or department chair and have questions or need assistance, please contact the human resources representative in your school, college, or division.
Language assistance is available from Cultural Linguistic Services.
Español, Hmoob, བོད་ཡིག, 中文, नेपाली
Spanish, Hmong, Tibetan, Chinese, Nepali
- Employee concerns about onsite or remote work related to COVID-19: What are the options?
- Sudden disruptions due to family caregiving issues related to COVID-19: What are the options?
- Leave Options
- Employee FAQs: Accommodations Related to COVID-19
- How to have conversations about Family Caregiving and Work Flexibility
- Office of Child Care and Family Resources, UW–Madison
- Make Back-to-School a Success: Resources & Tips from the Office of Child Care & Family Resources
- Parenting and Family Relationships, Division of Extension
See Care Locators on the LifeMatters website.
- Caregiving and COVID-19 Task Force