The HR Communities of Practice Office acknowledges the list of human resource associations is broad. Each organization has a mission to either serve the HR Profession, either broadly or through specific areas of professional expertise. Professional HR associations help to keep its members informed of current and future news, facilitate networking, offer professional development opportunities, etc.
Local and Regional Affiliates
- College and University Professional Association for Human Resources (CUPA HR) – This organization provides leadership on higher education workplace issues in the US and abroad. Simply create a free account on the CUPA-HR website in order to receive full membership benefits. Be sure to identify UW–Madison as your organization.
CUPA-HR Wisconsin – This is the state chapter for CUPA-HR and provides state news and information and professional development opportunities for higher-ed HR professionals in Wisconsin. The Wisconsin Chapter can access and use an online chapter forum through CUPA-HR Connect to communicate with people in the Wisconsin Chapter area. Anyone can participate in the chapter forum, regardless of CUPA-HR membership. The only requirement is that each person have a free CUPA-HR website account. National members and individuals who have made purchases or registered for events on the site already have accounts. If you don’t already have an account, simply create a free account on the CUPA-HR website.
24 hours after you have registered for this free institutional membership, you can change your membership from Limited Access (to which you’re added by default) to Full Access.
- Full Access includes member registration discounts and access to the Knowledge Center, magazine, directory, etc. Survey access is managed separately.
- Limited Access includes member registration discounts only.
- IPMA HR – Central Region – They facilitate communication and the exchange of ideas among Central Region chapters of International Public Management Association for Human Resources (IPMA-HR).
- SHRM – Greater Madison Area – An affiliate of SHRM that provides a local starting point for networking, information, professional development and support.
- Wisconsin SHRM State Council – The organization is a conduit for communication among the different areas of Society of Human Resource Management (SHRM), bringing the society closer throughout the region.
National Human Resource Organizations
- Association for Talent Development (ATD) – A professional membership organization supporting those who develop the knowledge and skills of employees in organizations across the globe.
- College and University Professional Association for Human Resources (CUPA HR) – This organization provides leadership on higher education workplace issues in the US and abroad.
- HR Certification Institute (HRCI) – This professional organization is a widely recognized premier credentialing organization (e.g. PHR, SPHR) globally. They are a great resource for any HR professional seeking professional certifications and are dedicated to advancing the HR profession.
- International Public Management Association for Human Resources (IPMA) – A leading global public sector human resources organization. They are a resource for comprehensive and timely HR industry news, jobs, policies, resources, education, and professional development opportunities.
- National Human Resources Association (NHRA) – A national organization that focuses on advanced individual career development, planning and leadership of HR professionals.
- Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) – The world’s largest HR professional society, operating globally.
Professional Training Organizations
If there are other organizations to which you belong that would be a good fit for this list, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and share your experiences with us.