University of Wisconsin–Madison

Portal Access for Employees Based Outside of Madison, WI

With the implementation of the application to display earnings statements in the MyUW portal and the decision to stop printing earnings statements for UW–Madison student hourly employees, all employees must be able to activate their NetID and access MyUW.

Activating a NetID

NetIDs can be activated by following the instructions in NetID – Activating Your Account.

Non-Madison-based employees may need to take additional steps to activate their NetID.

Employees not based in Madison who have never obtained a UW–Madison Photo ID card and therefore do not know their photo ID or campus ID number should ask their payroll representative to contact the Office of Human Resources to provide their campus ID number.

The payroll representative of the unit with employees experiencing this problem should send a list of employees to or call (608) 265-2257 to request these IDs.

Helpful Tools

New Employee Reports

A Cypress Report of new hires without NetIDs is available every Monday at 7:00 AM to assist new hires with obtaining a NetID before they obtain a WisCard or if one is not needed. (Cypress path: UWSC-HRS/Payroll/Recently Hired Employees w/No NetID).

Business Email Admin

Any change to the business email address initially entered in HRS must be done using the Business Email Admin module. Other change attempts are overwritten automatically by data entered using the Business Email Admin module.


Used for newly hired foreign nationals who are students and do not have SSNs. This process links student and employee records so they can access MyUW. A list of individuals without SSNs is in WED (HRS dashboard if you have Person Update access).

How to obtain access to these tools:

  1. Email the employee’s NetID to
  2. Indicate which module you are requesting access to
  3. Once notified that you have access, find the module by entering its name into the MyUW search field and clicking the Launch button next to it in the search result.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

What if student records (SIS) and employment records (HRS) have not been linked (e.g., the student-employee cannot see their timesheet)?

Add their SSN into HRS to link their records automatically.

What if a non-UW–Madison student employee needs access to the portal and a Wiscard?

Send a request for Special Authorization to Ensure their SSN is entered in HRS so the records can link.

A new employee is having trouble activating NetID (e.g., receives an error message that the record cannot be found)

Verify that an active HRS record exists, then verify that the SSN and Birthdate are in HRS. If everything is correct, please have the employee contact the DoIT Help Desk. DoIT will ask for their campus ID number that is on their Wiscard. If they don’t have a Wiscard, they should contact for their campus ID number.

How do I handle a new international student employee without an SSN?

The SIS and HRS records must be linked using the Account Administrator Tools (Self-Linking) module.