What is a Business Title?
A business title provides more description to an employee’s assigned official job title (title of record). An employee can adopt a business title that provides more specific detail about an individual position within the organization or the type of work performed. Business titles replace working titles.
Where can I use a Business Title?
- UW Employee Directory
- Business card
- Email signature
- Name badge
- Office signage
- Department website
- Internal/external communications
- Vacancy announcement
Business title does not change an employee’s title of record or assigned salary grade.
Business Title Guidelines
A Business Title Should
- Provide a more specific description of your job to facilitate business communications
- Add clarity to the job function, group and classification assignment in describing the individual job
- Align with professional and industry practice
- Align with other business titles within a job group or work unit
A Business Title Should Not
- Duplicate a title of record
- Misrepresent the university or the authority of a position