If you reduce your work hours, click on your appointment type for a summary of how your benefits will be affected:
The completed application(s) must submitted within 30 days of the Date of Change.
You should review and update your Beneficiary Designation(s) with each Qualifying Life Event.
State Group Health, Supplemental Delta Dental, DeltaVision and Accident
Supplemental Delta Dental, DeltaVision and Accident
If you are covered by WRS and your appointment increases to 50% or more and:
- You are not currently enrolled: You may enroll within 30 days from your increase in appointment.
- You are currently enrolled: You may change coverage levels or cancel coverage.
If you are covered by WRS and your appointment decreases to less than 50% and:
- You are not currently enrolled: Your next opportunity to enroll will be during Annual Benefits Enrollment or if you experience a qualifying life event that allows for an enrollment opportunity.
- You are currently enrolled: You have 30 days from your FTE change to less than 50% to submit an application to cancel your coverage or change to single coverage.
State Group Health
If increasing to an appointment of 50% or more:
- You can enroll in health insurance within 30 days of increasing your appointment due to becoming eligible for the full employer contribution.
- If you are already enrolled in the health insurance and are paying the less-than-half time rate (50% of the total premium rates), you will begin to receive the full employer contribution.
If decreasing to an appointment below 50%:
- You will be required to pay the less-than-half time rates (50% of the total premium rates) for health insurance.
- You can cancel your coverage within 30 days of the appointment change due to the increase in monthly premium.
Spending & Savings Accounts
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
If you change your appointment percentage, this may allow you to change your Health Care and/or Dependent Day Care FSA election. You must submit a Change of Election form to your HR Contact within 30 days of the date of the change.
Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS)
If you are not covered by the WRS and you increase your number of work hours, you may become eligible for the WRS.
If you are covered by the WRS, you will keep coverage if you reduce your hours of work, but you will earn less creditable service.
- WRS creditable service is based on the number of hours paid.
- Faculty, Academic Staff and Limited appointees must be paid for 1,320 hours in a fiscal year to earn 1 year of WRS creditable service.
- University Staff employees must be paid for 1,904 hours in a calendar year to earn 1 year of WRS creditable service.
UW 403(b) Supplemental Retirement Program (SRP)
You may want to change your deduction if you increase or reduce your appointment percentage. See the UW 403(b) Supplemental Retirement Program (SRP) page for information about how to enroll and/or change your election.
Wisconsin Deferred Compensation (WDC)
You may want to change your deduction if you increase or reduce your appointment percentage. See the Wisconsin Deferred Compensation page for information about how to enroll and/or change your election.