University of Wisconsin–Madison

Change In Name or Address


If you change your name or address, you must Contact HR.

Provided you update your name or address with your HR Contact, the following benefit plans will update automatically:

  • State Group Health Insurance (address only)
  • State Group Life Insurance
  • Delta Dental
  • DeltaVision Insurance
  • Individual & Family Life Insurance
  • UW Employees, Inc. Life Insurance
  • University Insurance Association (UIA) Life Insurance
  • Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
  • Flexible Spending Account
  • Health Savings Account
  • Income Continuation Insurance
  • Wisconsin Retirement System

State Group Health

You may update your name completing and submitting an application to your HR Contact.

*Note: Supporting documentation is required if you legally change your name for reasons other than marriage or divorce. Submit documentation to your HR Contact.

Address Changes:

  • You may change health plans within 30 days of your move out of the service area by submitting an application to your HR Contact. The change is effective the first of the month on or following the receipt of your application.
    • If you change your health insurance plan carrier (i.e. GHC to Dean), all limits (deductible, benefits maximums and out-of-pocket limits) will reset to $0. Prescription drug and Uniform Dental accumulators and limits will not reset.
    • NOTE: If health plan change involves an HDHP (to or from):
      • If you are staying with the same health plan (insurance carrier), all limits will transfer. (ex: non-HDHP with health plan A to HDHP plan with health plan A)
      • If you are changing health plan (insurance carrier), ALL limits will restart at $0.00. (ex: non-HDHP with health plan A to HDHP plan with health plan B, or HDHP plan with health plan A to HDHP plan with health plan B)

Spending & Savings Accounts

Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)

When you update your name and/or address with your institution, the changes will be sent over to the vendor.

Health Care FSA

  • You are not eligible to make any changes to this election due to a name or address change.

Dependent Care FSA

  • You may change your current Dependent Day Care FSA election within 30 days of your move, if a change in residence results in a change in the cost or coverage of your dependent care provider. You must submit a Change of Election form to your HR contact to change your election.

Retirement Plans

UW 403(b) Supplemental Retirement Program (SRP)

You can make an address change with all UW SRP providers over the phone or in writing. Only TIAA permits online address changes.

Name changes must be made in writing; contact your provider to obtain a form.

Wisconsin Deferred Compensation (WDC)

Contact Wisconsin Deferred Compensation at 1-877-457-9327 to update your name or address.