“Layoff” is the termination of employment because of funding loss or a budget/program decision prior to the end of the appointment, or when proper notice of nonrenewal cannot be given. For Academic Staff, more information can be found via UW-Madison policy number UW-5078. For University staff, please see UW-Madison policy number UW-5077.
Benefits at Layoff
- For employees under minimum retirement age, or not vested in the Wisconsin Retirement System who are minimum retirement age, refer to UWS 41.
- For WRS-vested employees who are minimum retirement age, refer to UWS 42.
- Health Insurance Premium Payment at Layoff (UWS 40)
If you reduce your hours; the following charts show the effect on your benefits.
“Nonrenewal” is the termination of an academic staff member’s employment at the end of the appointment because of funding loss, a budget/program decision, or unsatisfactory performance, when proper notice of nonrenewal under ASPP Chapter 3 is given.
Benefits at Non-Renewal
Nonrenewals are treated as a termination and are not eligible for 3 additional months of health coverage at the employer rate. Refer to the Termination Page for more information.
Further Clarification for Academic Staff
For a nonrenewal, two criteria must be met:
- correct amount of notice based on years of service must be given to the employee
- the termination date must be no earlier than the end of the current appointment
A layoff occurs if one of the following criteria are met (in each case proper layoff notice must be given):
- the employee does not receive proper nonrenewal notice based on the years of service
- the termination date is earlier than the end of the current appointment