University of Wisconsin–Madison

Employee Tax Withholding

The W-4 is designed to help employees accurately calculate their payroll tax withholding. Withholding is a very individual decision based on each person’s financial and personal situation. Each employee must make withholding decisions on their own or with the assistance of their individual tax consultant. The UW is not authorized to provide tax advice.

Submitting your tax withholding information

Effective March 10, 2020, most employees can enter and update their tax withholding information using the Payroll Information module in MyUW.

Instructions for updating your Federal and State W-4
Translations:Español Hmoob བོད་ཡིག 中文 नेपाली

If you prefer to submit a paper form instead, you can submit the W-4 forms (links below) in person to your department Payroll/HR office, or to the Office of Human Resources at 21 N. Park Street, Suite 5101.

For security purposes, UW–Madison will not accept W-4 forms via email.

Effective Date

Once you submit your tax withholding update, we encourage you to monitor your Earnings Statement to verify your tax withholdings are accurate. Learn more about understanding your Earnings Statement.

Federal W-4

Download Form W-4

State W-4

If you are unsure which State forms you may need, answer the questions below for help.

Submit the appropriate tax forms in person or via fax to your local payroll contact, or to:

Office of Human Resources
University of Wisconsin–Madison
21 N. Park Street, Suite 5101
Madison, WI 53715

Phone:  608-265-2257
Fax:  608-265-6547