The core belief of Fully Prepared to Lead (FP2L) is that everyone has the ability to practice individual leadership in their role at UW–Madison. By attending these courses, you will feel empowered to positively influence your work environment and recognize the personal leadership that you bring to your team.
FP2L is a competency-based professional development program, integrated with the Leadership @ UW Framework to maintain a consistent, common leadership language across campus. You can pick and choose the courses that are best for you. Or, you can choose to complete the Certificate of Leadership Competency.
Why should you attend?
- Leadership is demonstrated in actions and behaviors, not in your position or authority.
- Fully Prepared to Lead will help you identify practical ways you can demonstrate your personal leadership.
- Courses focus on what you as an individual can control to influence positive changes in your work environment.
Who should attend?
All UW–Madison employees who are looking at growing their leadership skills (or journey).
- Coaching and Developing Others
- Effective Emails
- Giving and Receiving Constructive Feedback
- Influencing Teams from Within
- Modes of Conflict Management
- Face-to-Face Communication: Beyond the Basics
- Personal Brand and Leadership Awareness
- Personal Resilience and Accountability
- Presentation Skills
- Personal Professional Development Planning
- Project Management Basics
- Effective and Engaging Meetings
- Time and Self-Management
- Understanding and Influencing Team Dynamics for Peak Performance
- Understanding and Leading Change
- Understanding Mission, Vision, and Strategy
- Understanding Organizational Politics
- Your Interpersonal Style
What people are saying
“I thought I’d come for one class…upon completion of the certificate program I can honestly say the whole of the program is greater than the sum of its parts. The strength of the program is in the connectivity between the topics and the application in the everyday world. I’m better because of it.”
Aaron, Assistant Campus Planner, FP&M
“Fully Prepared to Lead taught me what it means to be a leader, without the restriction of needing to be a supervisor or manager. Learning more about the organization, myself, and others through this certificate process has made me a more active, effective, and respected contributor in my workplace.”
Meghan, University Services Program Associate, Compliance and Safety
“As a young professional, Fully Prepared to Lead gave me a set of researched methods and information to utilize towards being a positive contributor to my staff, department, and the UW–Madison community. Discussing these topics with peers from across campus provided a unique perspective to similar situations that arise in the workplace. The setting allowed for thought-provoking conversations that resulted in actionable steps to improve office culture and interpersonal relationships. Fully Prepared to Lead made me a better employee immediately, but also paved the framework for success for the rest of my career.”
Adam, Academic Advisor, Athletics